For 40 years, Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company operated at the Michoud Assembly Facility (MAF) under the Space Shuttle program with NASA.
Space Shuttle Program’s External Tank (ET)
At it’s peak, the ET program employed over 2,000 people and was considered one of the largest employers in New Orleans. In 2010, the Space Shuttle External Program ended after lasting 40 years.
Currently, Lockheed Martin is operating under the Orion program with NASA to manufacture the Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle:
Orion Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle (MPCV)
Under the Orion MPCV program, Lockheed Martin manufactures the vehicle’s structure at Michoud. Lockheed Martin has delivered two capsul
The Orion Team at Michoud Assembly Facility in New Orleans, LA embark on the final welds of Orion EM-1.es to NASA, the first was a test article and the second flew on NASA’s Exploration Flight Test One in December 2014.
Lockheed Martin Advanced Programs at MAF:
- FAST Program (program ended)
- Tested the Air Force’s Re-usable Launch Vehicle composite fuel tank in 2014.
- OTEC Demonstration Article
- Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion scaled-down test article
- Thermal Protection Products (TPP) Program
- Thermal coatings for aerospace applications to reduce heat deformation
- Information Systems and Global Solutions
- Production of LNG (Liquefied Natural Gas) Tanks
For more information, visit their web page. www.lockheedmartin.com